Travel log
 
Jericoacoara
Sunday, July 23, 2006
Well, it is indeed a funny place. I think if we hadn't come from Pipa it'd be quite cool, but as it is... there's not much to do really, the beach isn't too nice, and as for being "more primitive" - I just don't know about that. Other than the roads being sand, there's actually more traffic than in Pipa or Sana, there's heaps of tourist trap shops, overpriced restaurants, bars and pousadas, and very little else.

I kind of expected something different I guess, like a tiny village of beach huts with no cars driving around and a rough but beautiful stretch of beach. It's nothing like that. The traffic really is the biggest pain in the ass here. Motorbikes, beach buggies and cars are everywhere.

The one cool thing about this place is the massive sand dunes nearby. We climbed the one closest to town last night in the dark to go stargazing, and got a nice view of the milky way... then I almost lost my camera! Dropped it on the way down somehow, then had to go back for torches while Sal stayed roughly where we'd been sitting... after retracing our tracks back down, my amazing wonderful sister spotted it in the sand. Awesome. So that's twice now... nice one Dave...

Think we're going to try and get to Piripira and the national park tomorrow. I imagine other people would enjoy this place more than I have - you can go kiteboarding for the princely sum of R$350+, and I guess hire one of those buggies to take you...somewhere. You can hire sand boards for about 5/hr which is decent, but after doing it in Pipa I don't really feel like it - you get sand EVERYWHERE! Oh yeah, did I mention we did that, cos I don't think I did?! Sal was great at it, me and Jess kept falling off before making it all the way down, and despite doing some spectacular rolls couldn't touch Salvador Sandboarder.

Anyway my free ten minutes are up. We're living very cheap now - today has cost R$8 for accom, and about R$5 for food and drink. Shame we didn't do that in Rio... or Salvador... or.... but it feels good to be finally saving a bit of money instead of blowing heaps on booze, eating out etc. Hopefully the national park will be good - our final destination before Belem.....
 
Comments:
Hiya!
Some very interesting & very descriptive posts. Sounds like you're both seeing things that will stay in your memories forever... Nobody could teach you what you're learning....
Loveyaboth,
Take care & watch out for the pickpockets etc
lotsalove,
Dadda & Gwyn who trust everyone ;op
 
Post a Comment



<< Home


Tales from a backpacker in South America



ARCHIVES
May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 /

SALLY
Sally's travel log

TECHNORATI

PHOTOS
This trip and others